Rail OEMs tell us they need components that combine performance, safety and reliability.
For products like grommet edging and seals this translates into three main features
Silicone or Thermo-Plastic Elastomers (TPE)
Seal-Fast™ Seals and Spring-Fast® SL-FST Grommet Edging meet all three.
|Spring-Fast SL-FST||Seal-Fast Silicone Seals|
|Metal Reinforced for performance||Yes||Yes|
|Silicone or TPE for Performance/Reliability/FST||Yes-TPE||Yes-Silicone|
|Flame, Smoke, Toxicity (FST) Compliance||Yes||Yes|
|Profiles available||7||100s of profiles|
|Customizable||Yes||Yes with CFEA|
|US sourcing requirements.||Yes||Yes|
|Once piece product||n/a||Yes with film bonding|
|Allows Unified design Specs||Yes||Yes|
- Spring-Fast SL-FST’s encapsulated spring steel core provides strong edge retention without adhesive. It lowers install costs by 49% vs. grommets with glue as its finger pressure application significantly reduces the install steps.
- Seal-Fast Silicone seals reinforced with steel/stainless steel wire which gives it durability, strength and grip.
2. Silicone or TPE for Performance/Reliability/FST:
- Silicone Seals
- Flexible, durable, easy to apply, with a high tear strength and strong edge retention
- A low compression set recovers its shape even on doors that close hundreds of times a day.
- Resistant to adverse weather, UV, & ozone. Ideal for external use at high speeds.
- SL-FST Grommet Edging encapsulated in Thermo-Plastic Elastomer (TPE)
- TPE is resistant to weather conditions, UV, & ozone.
- FST compliant with EN 45545-2 & US NFPA standards. Flame retardant, low smoke & low toxicity,
- SL-FST design creates best in class performance and 49% installation savings
- Seal-Fast Silicone seals are FST compliant:
- High fire resistance and self-extinguishing characteristics: Resistance to smoke development
- A high-temperature range that diminishes the chance of a potential fire outbreak
- FST compliant with EN 45545-2, E662, E162, and BMP-800 certificated test results
- Spring-Fast SL-FST encapsulated in a TPE:
- Flame retardant, Low smoke-producing, Low toxicity producing.
- FST compliant with EN 45545-2 (within requirement sets R22 and R23 for small critical components it is certified for Smoke Density, Oxygen Index and Toxic Gas for Hazard Levels, 1, 2, and 3.)
Across the rail industry the goal to increase passenger satisfaction is driving the rapid development and deployment of in-flight entertainment systems, screens and devices. Effective and safe cable protection is imperative for these systems.
DTi is taking on a growing number of transit projects in N. America and Europe because we meet OEM needs. They add these products to their e-books or internal design guides to make them available to their teams.
Products that meet FST standards like EN45545-2, ASTM and other international certifications allow rail OEMS worldwide to implement worldwide unified design specifications which lowers costs and raises efficiency for everyone.
♦ Euro Based Rail OEM
Locomotive Engine compartment seal
Off the shelf Seal-Fast™ EPDM met their FST and USA content needs
♦ North American Based Rail OEM
Coach door and window seals
Off the shelf/custom 1 piece Seal-Fast vulcanized seal (D3-228-S044)to meet FST and USA content needs
♦ Multi National Train OEM
Power Supply door panel seal
Custom Seal-Fast EPDM met FST /USA content needs. Longer wing flange and optimized the CLD characteristics.
♦ Asia Rail OEM
Braking System M-9 Cars
Custom 1 piece Seal-Fast Silicone D3-282-S044 –adhesive bonded ends. It had to fit panel thicknesses of 0.075”, corner radii of 1.5″ & pass the IPX6 rating for leakage